Sunday, April 27, 2008

Light Relief

Maiden, n. A young person of the unfair sex addicted to clewless conduct and views that madden to crime. Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Clewless conduct: "Peaches Geldof [18] has been accused of leaving a trendy London boutique without paying for a dress with a $1100 price tag... In October 2006 Peaches, the daughter of Bob Geldof, was stopped at London clothes shop Urban Outfitters, on suspicion of shoplifting a coat." (Peaches in 'dress mix-up', The Sunday Telegraph, 20/4/08)

and views that madden to crime: "During our conversation, it becomes clear that Peaches [16] admires few grown-ups... But she reserves her harshest judgement for Mike Moore, the documentary-maker behind the anti-George Bush film Fahrenheit 9/11. 'I watched that film and I felt disgusted the way he was so biased. He completely ridiculed him [Bush] and it's just like when you're in a playground and you're bullying a little kid. I was for the Iraq war. I supported Bush completely, which was quite, like my friends, like, hated me for that. Of course, it's terrible that millions of people have died, but if you think of Saddam Hussein and all the terrible things he's done, I mean something doesn't come from nothing. Everyone at school, like, a lot of people knew nothing about the war and were wearing T-shirts saying 'F...Bush' and saying 'Bush sucks'. I think people should be more informed before hating a person for something'." (The self-possession of Peaches, The Sun-Herald, 24/4/05)

No comments: