Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Love Me, I'm a Liberal Zionist

I cry when they shoot Palestinians
Tears run down my spine
I cried when they shot Mr. Rabin
As though I'd lost a father of mine
But Sheikh Yassin got what was coming
He got what he asked for this time
So love me, love me, love me, I'm a liberal Zionist

I read New Republic & Nation
I've learned to take every view
You know, I've memorised Geras & Mendes
I feel like I'm almost a Jew
But when it comes to times like Israel
There's no one more white & blue
So love me, love me, love me, I'm a liberal Zionist.

(With apologies to Phil Ochs)

Monash Uni academic Nick Dyrenfurth, writing in The Age, June 23, 2012:

"Admittedly, my pro-asylum seeker stance is guided by my heart. Seventy-three years ago, my Jewish grandmother escaped Nazi Germany for England then Australia, seemingly paying a bribe to a pesky people smuggler (that is, a Gestapo officer) in order to exit the barbarism engulfing the continent. I'll be forever grateful that she jumped that 'queue'. We shouldn't forget that on leaky unauthorised boats are valuable citizens who will improve our own lives: a job-creating Burmese entrepreneur, an Iranian researcher working towards a cancer cure, or a talented Afghan novelist. Might there even be a Tamil public servant destined to implement policy for, shock horror, a future Coalition government?" (Why the moralising left is losing the refugee debate)

Nick Dyrenfurth (& Philip Mendes), writing in The Australian, November 11, 2009:

"More and more Israelis and diaspora Jews understand that Israel will not only have to freeze West Bank settlements, but eventually dismantle at the very least all settlements east of the security barrier. Equally the Palestinians will have to make concessions that facilitate peaceful relations. This means finally accepting that the 1948 Palestinian refugees will only return to the Palestinian state and not to Israel." (The enemy within: The far-Left hijacked the Palestinian cause)

2 comments:

PB said...

Amuses me how the loudest voices in this country for "social justice" and "diversity" seem to be Jews, yet ask the same of their precious Israel that they demand of us and just watch the sparks fly. Of course divide and rule is for us, not them.

Anonymous said...

I just wonder what "concessions" the Palestinians can make. At the moment no exiled Palestinians are allowed to return to any part of the State of Israel or the Occupied Territories so in what way is this a concession.