Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Our Man in Tel Aviv 1

"Australia's next ambassador to Israel hopes to change what he says is 'a bit of a one-dimensional impression' of Israel among the wider Australian public. Foreign Minister Bob Carr announced on Tuesday that senior career officer with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) Dave Sharma will replace Andrea Faulkner as ambassador in June... 'A lot of what we see, particularly in the Australian media, is really about conflict in the Middle East... and I think people as a result in Australia, the mainstream public has a bit of a one-dimensional impression of Israel. I'd like to try, to the extent that I can, [to] lend my support to showcase some of the more interesting parts of what's going on in terms of the relationship and how it works for both of us, and then give a more rounded impression of the nature of today's Israel and Australia's relationship with it'." (Our new man in Israel, The Australian Jewish News, 17/5/13)

Hm... to borrow Julia Gillard's words on the recent leadership spill: Call me old-fashioned, but I always thought an ambassador's role was to represent his country, not the country to which he's been posted.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang on MERC, don't you remember the words of Tony Abbott from his time in the Howard government?

Those words are still ringing in my ears...

"we are all Israelis now"

MERC said...

You got me!